Saturday 13 May 2017

M18 Hellcat and White Scout Car

The amount of painting I have been able to accomplish this month has been rather limited due to one thing or another. I have, however, been able to finish off two vehicles that I started well over a year ago now. These are a M18 Hellcat (early version) and a M3 White Scout Car. These are designed as support options for my Normandy US Paratroopers. There is not specific engagement in mind for this force organisation it is merely a collection of units that were available in Normandy. 

The M18 was used throughout Normandy but the White Scout Car is another matter. It was generally replaced from mid 1943 onwards with M8 or M20s. However some were still used in Normandy although in rather limited numbers. I remember reading very briefly about an Airborne reconnaissance unit that had one or a number of Scout Cars which inspired me, as I find the vehicle rather appealing. As such the crew are painted in the khaki/yellow paratrooper uniforms and represent a recce element of the Parachute Infantry Regiment of which my platoon belongs. 

M18 Hellcat

M3(A1?) White Scout Car

Interior of the Scout Car, note the Airborne uniforms.
 
This miniatures were also my first experimentation with weathering powders. It is a technique/material I have wanted to try for quite a long time. What I attempted here was quite simple, merely muddying the tracks/wheels but it looks alright and breaks up some of the shapes.

The other problem was I have no transfers/decals for the large allied stars, so I freehanded them. While not as good as a transfer, they certainly came out reasonable. Due to the positioning they may look a little off but this is partly done by the slope and some hinges on the engine of the scout car.

No comments:

Post a Comment