Monday 21 November 2016

Comic-Con Birmingham Haul

So this is where I am going to show off the few purchases I made from the Saturday at MCM Birmingham. I am yet to read any of the items that are shown here, this is more of a run-down of what I have and what intrigued me about the titles. I had hoped to get a few pictures of the artwork from each issue however the glossy nature of the pages meant that there was far too much glare. 

I must first mention that I am quite an avid collector of comics and graphic novels. I have, however, had something of a lapse over the past few years. I have found most recent mainstream publications to be rather dull in theme, art and writing. There was a resurgence when IMAGE published some collected editions for a few of their short runs of (mostly) Sci Fi. I have mostly accepted that I am not the audience for a great number of volumes (and that is perfectly fine) but I would still like something that tickles that itch. Perhaps in the next few days I shall do a post on what I would like to see from a comic or graphic novel but anyway back to my purchases.

The first items I bought were issues one and two of MOON. Has rather nice and interesting art/style. After talking to the writer and artist the plot revolves around the moon walking around the 'human' world in the early hours of the morning due to a botched ancient ritual. Wacky adventures ensue. I mostly picked it up due to the art being quite nice and interesting and for some light hearted shenanigans, which I think it will deliver.

Issues #1 and #2 of MOON.

Next up is FLINTLOCK.  Mostly drawn to the fact that it is an adventure story set within the 18th Century, which in my opinion is an under utilised period for adventures (pirates notwithstanding). The art is not anything special but is decent enough in black and white. I look forward to giving it a read.

Flintlock

My favourite and most anticipated purchase from the comic con is SKIES OF FIRE. I must say the art on both the covers and within is absolutely fantastic. I am a complete sucker for anything pastel and water coloury and this is no exception. The booth/stall had a great number of fantastic posters and post cards that showed said art of off to a wonderful degree. I am loathe to use the term 'Diesel Punk' to describe these issues lest I start a diatribe about the nature of the -punk suffix and its use in modern speculative fiction, so I shall not. Instead I shall suggest that from my brief perusal of the art it is a pulpy art deco themed story involving air mercenaries/air ships and biplanes a la Porco Rosso or Crimson Skies. I am very much O.K. with both those things. These are the first three (and currently only issues printed) from a planned series of eight. If the story is up to the artwork then this shall make me rather excited for the following issues.
 
Issues #1, #2 and #3 of SKIES OF FIRE.

My final purchase was the first three volumes of COMICHAUS. This a collection of differing stories/comics much in the same vein as 2000ad. The art is rather varied in style as one would expect but all seems at least decent with a few strips being excellent. It is all in black and white but as a fan of monochrome (especially for gritty stories) this is a plus. The mixed nature of each issue is rather nice especially as I have come to enjoy far shorter length pieces of fiction (be it television or literature) and the variety is a plus when I am in an odd mood, not necessarily knowing what I want.
 
Issues #1, #2 and #3 of COMICHAUS

These are all the comics that I picked up during the course of Saturday. I did get a rather nice 19th Century/Industrial print but I shall show that once I have it framed. As  a whole I enjoyed the day but would have appreciated if there was a greater emphasis on both comics and their creators as opposed to the periphery of merchandise.

No comments:

Post a Comment