Thursday 3 November 2016

Romano British 2

The Gripping Beast plastic Late Romans arrived today. I ordered them on Tuesday so it was a rather quick turn around which is always nice to see, Caliver Books always seem to be on point. I the kit at Salute and was not completely impressed. I decided to order to get a proper look and to fill a few gaps (mostly command related) in my Late Roman/Romano British forces. The figures are a lot nicer in person although they seem to have the characteristic Gripping Beast 'roundness' in figure. I can not really explain this feeling very well but the figures seem 'round'. This may be related to the helmet types or the relatively squat nature of the figure (more on this later) but I can not shake it.

From left to right Footsore, Gripping Beast Late Roman and Gripping Beast Dark Age Warrior (with GB shield and Westwind head.

The figures themselves are rather fine with the Late Roman patterned tunics. There is only seven heads per sprue (5 helmeted with 2 variations, 1 bare and 1with hat) which is a shame some more variation would have been appreciated but it's reasonable. The main problem is that they (the figures) seem rather short and relatively slight. This may be because of the comparison with the Musketeer/Footsore majority in my force (which are noticeably chunkier). Despite these concern I look forward to completing my poor infantry/pedes/pedyt infanty with some of these as command. The archers also come in handy in bulking out the numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment