Saturday 12 November 2016

Nature of Basing and Updates

Sorry for the lack of updates the past few days I have been rather unwell and not really in the frame of mind for making posts. However I feel a little better and intend to make some small comments on the wargaming and historical activities that have taken place. Also, in other news, I played my first game of Rugby for two seasons, I felt a little rough to say the least!

The tufts arrived today, I have 2x Heather, 1x Patchy and 1x Wild Meadow from the Warlord War World range. My intention that with these a some more muted static grass I can create an upland theme. The static grass being muted should allowed for the heather and tufts to 'pop' a little better.  This and evening and tomorrow shall be the test, I will post the outcomes at a later date.

In terms of reading it has mostly been in regards to looking at the Romano -British. Guy Halsall's 'The Worlds of Arthur' is a tome I have owned for quite some time but I have never given it my full attention. It starts out with a decent summarisation of the nature and a discussion of the previous scholarship relating to 4/5th Century Britain. It then gives a critical analysis of the major historical sources (6th-12th Centuries) relating to Arthur (or at least those used when looking at the 'historical' Arthur). Then finally the volumes attempts to re-examine the nature of Anglo-Saxon migration and settlement although some of the conclusions may be a little 'out there'. The book it sit in weird positionn I find. Guy Halsall is not a 'popular historian' he is a Professor of Early Medieval History at the University of York (and a keen wargamer to boot!) but the book seems marketed as such. The publication is NOT popular history but yet it is not quite a full academic work (the lack of in line or footnote references is the main issue). Overall it is a decent introduction to Post Imperial Britain and the debunking of most claims to a historical Arthur (that is not to say that the author thinks that he never existed just that it is almost impossible to tell).

No comments:

Post a Comment