Tuesday 25 October 2016

Aristeia Things and 15mm Ancients

A few little things for today. Some more work on Aristeia took place, mostly on the weapons and rules around them. I've been toying with these for a while as I want them to reflect historical/practical uses while still keeping them all reasonably viable or at least within their own niche. I think I've done a reasonable job and look forward to sharing these in the future when the ruleset is more complete.

related to the yesterdays talk of Ancient Greek housing it seems Warbases are releasing a modular ancient farmstead/villa in the near future. If this is not too expensive it may provide a reasonable alternative to building my own. I'm generally in favour of self-made terrain due to the personal nature of it but if what is released so far better than anything I could realistically make then it is not that much of a problem. I am looking forward to seeing a few more pictures in the future.

Finally basing for 15mm ancients. I have stated before that I have been looking at doing some ancient related things but not in 28mm due to a general malaise. To that end I've been looking at my mid 3rd Century Romans and Gauls/ Helleno-Celts. The main issue I am having is in regards to basing. The figures are most probably going to be used for Hail Caesar and as such will be mounted on 40x20mm (or 40x40mm as I have some of those spare). The standard for such basing seems to be 4 men to a base/rank. This to me looks a little crowded (yes I understand it is meant to represent a close body of men but TOO crowded). Outside of this there are a few other concerns in regards to painting (I paint with my figures already attached to the base rather than individually and attaching them later) and the fact that if I use 3 to a base/rank I can stretch my figures further (as in Hail Caesar it is only frontages that matter). I have taken a few pictures with the figures blu-tacked to the bases.

Side by Side of both bases. They are based on a 40x40mm with 2 ranks on each.

3 Hastati per rank

4 Hastati per rank
I am undecided on how to continue. I like the IDEA of the closer order but in practical term I think three per rank is winning. I, however, do not necessarily want to upset the conventions of the scale but seeing as I have no opponents or armies other than my own lined up it is not a pressing issue.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should mount 4 soldiers to a base for close order like Romans and Greeks, 3 for "medium order" such as Celts which lets you drop down neatly to 2 for skirmish bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that four to a base gives a nice close order feel. My main reasons in going for three are 1) I'm cheap (can get more frontage with fewer figures) and 2) I paint my figures on the base (I know I probably shouldn't do this) and it makes them easier to paint.

      I've seen a few people that do ranks of three and I think it's a decent compromise. I'm still torn on how to base them.

      Delete